Last week, the members of the Federation for the Preservation of the Jewish Character of the Nation (known in Hebrew as "Shai"), held a number of demonstrations in various places throughout Jerusalem, protesting the appointment of Nathan Sharansky as Interior Minister. These protests were sparked by the organization's fear that now that Sharansky and his party have gained control of the Interior Ministry, which controls the supervision of Israel's borders, masses of non- Jews would be permitted to enter the country as immigrants.
Last Tuesday, members of Shai demonstrated in front of the Interior Ministry, and warned its personnel that, "Yisrael b'Aliya's having gained control over the Interior Ministry is its first step toward gaining control over the entire State."
At the demonstration, official data of the Interior Ministry stating that recently 60% of the Russian immigrants who arrive here are avowedly not Jewish, and that a vast industry of forging religion certificates is functioning full force in the C.I.S. and accounts for a significant part of the remaining 40%.
Later on, Shai's members demonstrated in front of the office of Yisrael b'Aliya in Zion Square, and called to passerby to protect the Jewish state from being dominated by aliens, and from an irreversible flood of antagonistic elements, many of whom are anti-Jewish.
Russian youths, who said that they were non-Jews, cursed and threatened the demonstrators, using very unseemly epithets. A squad of police protected the demonstrators, and in a number of cases bodily separated them from the non-Jewish youths.
A demonstration which was supposed to take place last Sunday in front of the Office of the Prime Minister while the cabinet was in session, was postponed for the following day, due to the funeral of King Hassan of Morocco.