[To tell the truth, this recipe was left over from Purim, but
as summer is salad time, fruit or vegetable, it should be an
interesting change from the regular thing.]
Delicious for fruit salads such as grapefruit and avocado.
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 cup salad oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1. Combine sugar, vinegar, dry mustard and grated onion in a
bowl. Add salt. Add oil slowly, beating with electric mixer
or beater until thick. (Or else, shake vigorously in a jar
with a tightly-fitting lid.)
2. Stir in poppy seeds (carefully checked). Pour into a jar
with a tight-fitting lid.
3. Chill for at least 2 hours. Shake well before serving.
Yield: 1 3/4 cups.
SAUTEED CHICKEN BREASTS
3/4 cup olive oil
8 cloves garlic, sliced
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 whole chicken breasts (about 3 lb.)
1 1/3 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
3 tablespoons margarine (divided)
2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan. Add garlic and cook
for 5 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and set aside
for at least 10 minutes. Discard garlic. Combine oil with
remaining marinade ingredients in a large plastic storage
bag. Let cook for 10 minutes. Place in a leakproof plastic
2. Remove skin and bones from chicken breasts. Cut in half.
Flatten each half to 1/4 inch thickness between plastic wrap
or waxed paper.
3. Place prepared chicken in plastic bag with marinade.
Secure and turn to distribute. Marinade in refrigerator for
at least 1 hour.
4. Combine flour, salt and pepper on a large dish. Dip
marinated chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
5. Spray a heavy 12 inch skillet with nonstick spray. Heat 1
1/2 tablespoons margarine and 1 tablespoon olive oil in
skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 chicken breast halves
and cover. Reduce heat slightly after 1 minute. Turn over
after 3 minutes. Cook, covered, another 2-3 minutes until
juices run clear.
6. Repeat with remaining oil, margarine and chicken breasts.
Yield: 8 servings.